Many young people with disabilities go on to tertiary study after school.

This is not only about University (which is one option), but also includes Vocational Education and Training (VET), which are offered by TAFE institutes and private registered training organisations and are usually more practically work-focused and developed in consultation with industry. VET can also lead to a university degree later on.

If your child isn’t sure about study or what they want to do, short courses are a good option, and you can see the range of what’s available through the Victorian Skills Gateway.

Another less formal opportunity to explore pathways are courses through Adult Community Education facilities. Visit the Learn Local website to explore what’s available.

There are a range of supports available to help them access and do well in tertiary education.

Disability liaison units (and ‘disability coordination officers’) exist through most universities and TAFEs, and can provide help to make sure that students with disabilities are supported and that reasonable adjustments are undertaken to ensure a fair education experience. They can offer services such as counselling, accommodation, scholarships, orientation and financial advice.

Some tertiary environment also have their own disability liaison officers who can provide even further assistance with things like helping to introduce students to their new environment, getting them in touch with other students with similar needs, providing information and practical support around enrolment, special entry and applications.