Firstly, caregivers are best placed to know when concerns arise for their child. Following your gut instinct is an important and necessary step in the journey.

You may have already had conversations with family, friends, your GP or maternal health nurse. If you haven’t been informed of all your options here are some steps you can take:

  1. Discuss your concerns with your MCH nurse, they can support you in supporting your child’s development and give you referrals to other professionals relevant to your child’s needs.
  2. Book in a time if you haven’t already to speak to your GP. They can link you to a paediatrician who specialises in the needs of children.
  3. If the child care provider or kindergarten your child attends has had a conversation with you about the need for additional support, request a meeting with a member of staff and ask what the concerns are and what supports they can put in place to support your child. Ask for all copies of assessments or evidence they have collected. This information is helpful for additional supports like ECEI.
  4. If you have evidence from an early educator, maternal child health nurse, paediatrician or the hospital staff you should call the National Disability Insurance Scheme to start your journey in accessing supports for your child.  If your child has one or more areas of delay that are having a big impact on their participation in family and community life and their day to day life you do not need a diagnosis before making the phone call.
  5. If you would prefer individual support from ACD, AMAZE, or DCA click here for contact details.
  6. Download a copy of the Making a Start Booklet which you can use to take notes, read examples of other families and look at all your options in greater detail.